Preparing to Move Checklist
Moving your household can be a very busy time. A time when small (or even big) things can be easily forgotten. To prevent this from happening to you it is often helpful to write yourself a moving checklist. Below is one we've put together to get you started.
Pathway to Moving
Download a PDF version.
We all know it's a large job moving, we have prepared a check list to help you work through all you need to know. Follow our step by step list to make your move as trouble free as possible. It can be a very cleansing time moving, out with the old and in with the new.
8-5 weeks prior:
- Liaise with your bank regarding finance on next property.
- Liaise with your solicitor - is your sale definite yet?
- Select a firm date for moving.
- Keep a list of incoming mail and notify change of address of any subscriptions.
- Advise friends and relatives of your move.
- Prepare an inventory of everything and store it with your valuables.
- Plan how and when to pack your belongings.
- Begin collecting large sturdy cardboard boxes for any items you wish to pack yourself.
- Advise your children's school/kindergarten of your impending move and decide, if not already arranged, on a new school/kindergarten.
- Have a thorough clean-out. Don't forget garden shed and garage.
- Begin to run down supplies of frozen/perishable foods.
- Check that larger appliances and pieces of furniture will fit in your new home and make a list of anything you will not take. If selling, advertise them for sale.
4 weeks to go:
- Collect family's dental and medical records, letters of introduction and children's school records.
- Transfer allowance benefits.
- If renting, advise your current landlord.
3 weeks to go:
- Advise your solicitor, local council, insurance companies, accountant, hire purchase companies, stores where you have accounts, and clubs of your change of address.
- Start packing and labelling boxes with contents and intended location in your new home.
2 weeks to go:
- Ask friends and relatives to help on moving day.
- If moving a fair distance, have your car serviced.
- Advise your bank(s), where you have accounts, including credit cards.
7 days to go:
- Notify NZ Post regarding re-direction of your mail.
- Arrange Electoral Roll transfer.
- Advise the Inland Revenue Department.
6 days to go:
- Advise motor registry (your licence, motor vehicle registration etc.)
- Organise final accounts for gas, water and electricity.
- Ensure continuity of these services to your new address.
5 days to go:
- Contact Telecom regarding disconnection of your phone and final billing. Confirm new number and date of connection.
- List essential items you will need on moving day.
- Confirm removal company.
4 days to go:
- Collect any items outstanding, for example, lay-bys, dry cleaning, shoe repairs etc.
- Return library books.
3 days to go:
- Return anything borrowed from neighbours, friends etc.
- Cancel paper and milk deliveries.
2 days to go:
- Cancel local arrangements, for example, lawn mowing, gardening.
- Check with manufacturers whether your washing machine and refrigerator motors need bolting down.
- Clean out medicine cabinet. Dispose of any medicines by delivering to a pharmacy.
- Empty rubbish bins.
- Do final clean-out of garage.
- Secure turntable of stereo and arm.
- Dispose of inflammables (throw out or give to neighbours). Drain fuel from lawn mower and other machinery.
- Wash and dry any laundry.
- Take down curtains, venetians and other blinds, unless they are to remain.
- Prepare any items requiring dismantling which are being moved, for example, trampolines, garden furniture, etc.
1 day to go:
- Place things you want packed together in separate groups, for example, linen, toiletries, etc.
- Make sure gas, electricity and water meters have been read.
- Dismantle TV aerial, if taking it.
- Defrost fridge and freezer and remove food. Wash out interior.
- If moving a long distance, have your pet picked up or drop them at a kennel or cattery.
- If your car is being transported and it's not needed, have it picked up.
The Big Day:
- You should be just about organised.
- Consider carrying with you the essential things you will need when you first arrive.
- Carry all valuables and important papers with you.
- Tighten all taps.
- Check gas, electric switches and lights.
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Check nothing has been left behind.
Change of Address Check List
Remembering everyone who needs to be advised of your new address isn't easy, so we have put together a checklist to remind you of who needs to be contacted when you move.
- Electricity/Gas Company
- NZ Post
- Electoral Roll
- Newspaper and Magazine Subscriptions
- Registration (Vehicles & Other)
- Drivers Licence
- Inland Revenue Department
- Credit Cards
- Other Financial Institutions/Credit Accounts
- Other Direct Debits
- Dentist and Other Medical (Optometrist etc.)
- Lease/Rental Companies
- Family and friends
If you require further information
about moving, please contact us.